Communication Design and Art Direction
I bring an adaptive design aesthetic which relies heavily on informed creativity—a process which combines gained knowledge with strategic and conceptual thinking. I have extensive experience designing for print, web, and mobile mediums and enjoy the challenges inherent in each. I value the team I work with as much as the projects I work on and try to engage, mentor, and direct based on the unique strengths each person brings to the project.
2013 to present
PatientsLikeMe : Principal Visual Designer
- Heading the visual design for PatientsLikeMe, I primarily focus on crafting their online experience and growing their visual brand. It is an incredibly rich site with many features and tools so the main challenge has been to simplify the overall experience by developing solid UX and visual patterns. I also work with the marketing and research teams to provide support internally and with outside vendors.
2011 to 2013
Location Labs : Senior Art Director
- Working with top-tier carriers, I developed and produced mobile and web applications based on Location Labs’ Locator technology. In addition to customizing the functionality and branding of the app for each carrier, support materials were created to provide information and drive conversion.
2005 to 2011
Posit Science : Design Director
- Responsible for developing and evolving the Posit Science brand system and it’s application to all outward-facing communications: tradeshow exhibits; program packaging and associated literature; informational, educational, and marketing materials; and Posit’s family of web sites.
- Collaborated and directed internal teams and sourced and managed outside creative teams and vendors.
- Other responsibilities & roles: Structured and implemented a streamlined process for the end-to-end fulfillment of software programs and all associated assets thereby increasing productivity and decreasing time to market.
- Lead Affiliate Marketing to triple it’s revenue production by targeting top-producing affiliates and providing them key messaging and campaign assets with increased support and tools for success.
1995 to 2005
Independent Consultant : Design & Direction
- Clients include: API Wellness Center, Avon, BMG, Gap Inc., Macromedia, MyPlay, National Brain Tumor Foundation, University of Southern California.
- Projects include interactive educational site; interactive console for tradeshow; online editorial content; user interface and design for online applications; print collateral including brochures, letterhead systems, and marketing materials.
Excite@Home : Interim Art Director
- Led a team of 5 designers to ensure consistent quality of design, maintained the service’s look and feel and timely completion according to deadlines of daily production as well as enforced page load standards and all other technical restraints.
- Met daily with Excite@Home’s broadband content editors to target lead stories for all channels including news, sports, entertainment, and lifestyle. Conceptualized, designed, and animated lead stories using illustrator, photoshop and flash.
Organic : Junior Art Director/Senior Designer
- JUNIOR ART DIRECTOR: Mentored and art directed junior designers in creating feasible and sound website design. Maintained and encouraged high standards of graphic design and typography.
- SENIOR DESIGNER: Responsible for design and direction through all phases of creating a website: presenting to and working closely with clients to identify most appropriate approach/solution; creative strategy and concept creation; collaboration with content engineers and information architects to define interactive elements as well as site structure; working with production and content engineers to develop and ensure continuity of original concept and quality of design.
c|net: the computer network : Senior Designer
- WEB DESIGN: Met with Creative Director concerning partner sites to define goals and purpose. Designed appropriate solutions with successful cobranding and collaborated with technical engineers to implement sites; conceptualized, designed and produced online features for cnet.com.
- PRINT: Concept creation, design and production of company literature, corporate materials, promotional items and advertisements. Design and development of logos, letterheads, and business literature for other c|net-affiliate ventures.
Triad, Inc. : Designer
- Concept creation, design and production of promotional, product, and corporate brochures; corporate and product identity and packaging; environmental graphics; book layout and design; apparel design.
- Created comprehensives for print, packaging and environmental graphics. Maintained client contact on relevant projects.
Harry Murphy + Friends : Designer/Production Assistant
- Concept creation, design and production of corporate identity, posters, event literature, and environmental graphics. Created comprehensives for print and environmental graphics.
Parsons School of Design NYC, NY
BFA in Communication Design: May 1993
Graduated with honors
Sarah Lawrence College Bronxville, NY
BA in Liberal Arts: May 1991